Smart Locks: “Didn’t I forget to lock the front door?” The question that many times leaves many of us in confusion until we reach back home. If you are one of them who got puzzled several times with the same question, then you must move on with the technology and there’s a way to check without making an extra trip home.
Quit your ordinary home locks and move on to the Smart lock. A smart lock is arguably the most important part of a truly smart, connected home. Smart locks let you remotely lock and unlock an equipped door using your smartphone. Once you get the lock installed, you’ll receive alerts detailing each time someone enters or leaves your home after downloading the lock’s app.
Features of Smart Locks
The features vary with each smart lock but most of the smart locks offer a mobile app that allows you to lock and unlock doors with a simple icon tap. Some offer a Web app that lets you control things from your desktop or laptop PC. Most apps let you add permanent and temporary users and set access schedules for specific days and times.
- If the lock is Bluetooth-enabled, you’ll have to be within range (around 40 feet) to communicate with it, while locks with built-in Wi-Fi circuitry or a Wi-Fi bridge can be controlled from almost anywhere as long as they are connected to your home router.
- The latest smart locks offer things like voice activation, geofencing, and auto-locking features. With voice activation, locking and unlocking doors is as easy as it gets; simply tell your phone to “unlock the front door,” and the lock will disengage. With geofencing, you’ll never have to worry if you locked up before you left the house; just use the mobile app to set up a perimeter around your house, and use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your exact location. When you leave the perimeter, you can have the lock automatically engage you.
- Similarly, an auto-lock feature will have the lock automatically engage after it has been unlocked for a specific period of time.
Other features to look for include keyless touchpads for those times when you don’t have your phone or your keys, tamper and forced entry alarms that warn you of a possible break-in, and push, text, and email notifications that let you know who is coming and going in real-time.
The price range smart locks lie within!
A smart lock costs a heck of a lot more than the standard-issue lock you can pick up at the local hardware store. You can find a few smart locks out there in the $100 range (not many of which made the cut for this list), but if you want a lock that you can control from anywhere, with features such as voice commands, push and email notifications, and tamper alarms, expect to pay somewhere in the $200-$300 price range.
Maintaining and troubleshooting smart locks
Smart locks require more maintenance than traditional locks. Usually, smart lock batteries last for about a year, but when the battery runs low, you’ll receive a text reminding you to replace the batteries. But in case you forget or procrastinate, don’t worry – the door will still unlock.
Top-5 Smart Locks, we picked that costs a little above $200
August Smart Lock (2nd Gen)
No more fumbling for keys. Control access to your home with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit or your smartphone. Auto-unlocks your door as you approach and automatically locks your door after you enter. No more hiding keys under the mat with virtual keys and the 24/7 activity log lets you know who opens your door and when. Your exterior door hardware stays the same. August Smart Lock replaces only the interior of your standard deadbolt. Install yourself in minutes.
The Features of the August Smart Lock are as following:
- No more keys: Open your door and control who comes in – all from your August Home smartphone app.
- Easy install: Attach to the inside of your current deadbolt in minutes. Your home’s exterior is unchanged.
- Hands-free access: Auto-unlock when you arrive home. Auto-locks after you’re inside.
- Feel secure: Share temporary virtual keys with guests & monitor access with 24/7 in-app activity feed.
- Remote access: Control your front door from anywhere from your app. Requires August Connect.
- Works with: Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Nest, IFTTT, Wink, Logitech Harmony, Logitech POP, iOS and Android devices.
2. Nest Learning Thermostat
The Nest Learning Thermostat programs itself and automatically helps save energy when you’re away. And you can control it using your phone, tablet or laptop.
The features of this Nest Smart Lock are given as below:
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Auto-Schedule: Nest learns the temperatures you like and programs itself in about a week.
- Home/Away Assist: Nest automatically turns itself down when nobody’s home to help you save energy.
- Remote Control: Connect your thermostat to Wi‑Fi to control the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Farsight: When Nest spots you across the room, it lights up to show you the time, temperature or weather.
- Energy History: Check your Energy History in the Nest app to see how much energy you use and why.
- Nest Leaf: You’ll see the Leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. It guides you in the right direction.
3. Ecobee3 Thermostat with Sensor
Ordinary thermostats only read the temperature in one room, but are supposed to deliver comfort in all rooms. Ecobee3 remote sensors deliver the right temperature in the rooms that matter most. Now homekit enabled. Ecobee3 sensors know which rooms are occupied to deliver the right temperature in the right places. And they know whether someone’s home to help you save energy and money when you’re away. Ecobee3 comes with 1 free remote sensor that measures temperature and occupancy. You can have up to 32 sensors. The more you add, the smarter your Ecobee3 becomes at delivering comfort where it matters and savings where it counts.
Features of Ecobee3 Thermostat Smart lock
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Smart, really smart – intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home’s unique energy profile, the weather outside, and thousands of other data points to make sure you’re comfortable at all times
- Knows you have a life – senses whether anyone’s home and which rooms are occupied, delivering comfort when you’re at home and saving you energy and money when you’re not
- Lowers your energy bills – Ecobee saves homeowners an average of 23% annually, paying for itself in energy savings
- Homekit-enabled Ecobee3 – the world’s first homekit-enabled smart thermostat – is an evolution of our previous Ecobee3 smarter wi-fi thermostat.
4. Ultraloq UL3 BT Bluetooth Enabled Fingerprint and Touchscreen Keyless Smart Door Lock
Ultraloq UL3 BT smart lever lock is designed to be “Real Keyless” for maximum flexibility and convenience. You are free to use fingerprint, code, key or smartphone to unlock. One can just knock on your phone to open the door, even when it’s in your pocket. You will be never be locked out again.
Features of the Ultraloq UL3 Smart Lock
- World’s First 5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock, Fingerprint+Code+Smartphone+Shake/Knock to Open+Key
- Reversible lever fits both left-handed and right-handed doors. DIY Installation
- It is completely waterproof and dustproof.Ideal for both indoor and outdoor installation
- Stores up to 95 Fingerprints and 95 Codes at a time, perfect for visitors and service personnel
- Single Latch (Optional Deadbolt Cover Plate Required for Replacing Existing Deadbolt)
5. Kwikset Premis Touchscreen Smart Lock
Premis is an Apple HomeKit enabled touchscreen smart lock that seamlessly integrates into HomeKit features such as Siri voice control, remote access through Apple TV (4th generation or later), and end-to-end encryption while delivering trusted security features from Kwikset. This single cylinder deadbolt can be locked or unlocked by using the keypad or key from the outside as well as the thumb turn from the inside. The crisp, clean appearance of the Satin Nickel finish adds to the overall look of the product and brings a modern feel.
Features of Kwikset Premis Smart Lock:
- Premis is an Apple HomeKit (only) enabled touchscreen smart lock
- Use Siri voice control to check lock history; remote access to monitor, lock, and unlock available through Apple TV (4th generation or later)
- Security features: ANSI/BHMA Grade 2 Certified, SecureScreen, optional auto-lock, optional alarm for incorrect codes, and more
- SmartKey re-key technology compatible with Kwikset (KW1) keyway only
- Latch has adjustable backset 2-3/8″ to 2-3/4″ to fit most standard door preparations (please check your door measurements prior to purchase)
- Premis is NOT compatible with Android devices. Please see list of specific Apple compatible devices under Product Description (below)
- Please see Installation and FAQ User Guide PDFs, as well as videos
That is all that we have in your top five picks of the Smart Lock. We hope this may help you picking the best for your house.