Garden Cultivator Tillers: Cultivator or Tiller or Rotavators, all of these are labor saving, powered machines that break up the ground or prepare it for planting and cultivation. They do this either by dragging or pushing rotating blades, tines or teeth through the ground churning up the ground as they rotate. The term cultivator is generic and used to cover tillers and rotavators of all kinds, and in essence, they are all forms of mechanical rotary tiller though some can have other cultivating attachments fitted such as plows.
You may be surprised to find that there are battery-powered cultivators that may be able to get the job done for you just as good as a gas powered one. It depends on the job and your yard’s needs, but sometimes an electric cultivator may be easier to maintain than a gas powered cultivator. Be sure that you don’t overestimate the abilities of your tiller if you are going with a mini cultivator as they are not suitable for dealing with large rocks and tough roots. For smaller rocks and roots you should be fine.
If your tiller runs on a mixture of gas and oil, follow the directions carefully. (Some larger tillers run on regular gas.)
- Remove rocks from the area before you begin tilling. Chop large roots with an ax first; tines can get caught on roots and jerk you forward.
- Choose the right tiller, and you may be inspired to turn your entire lawn into a vegetable garden or an expanse of ornamental plantings.
Reasons to buy the Cultivator Tillers
- Tillers and cultivators are useful for turning the soil, mixing in compost and fertilizer for soil amendment and loosening the soil to help water reach plant roots.
- Gardeners are firing up their tillers now to prepare flower beds and vegetable gardens for planting.
- In summer, tillers and cultivators can weed between vegetable rows.
- The cultivator is for mixing loose soil material and breaking up soil between rows of plants. These are good for raised beds. They are easy to store and maneuver, but they can handle small areas only. Models run on gas, electric or battery power. Expect to pay between $100 and $250.
Top Five 2/4 Cycle Cultivator Tillers to buy if your budget lies in between $200 to $400:
1. Earthquake MC43 43cc 2-Cycle CARB Compliant Engine Mini Cultivator Tiller – $189.99
The Earthquake MC43 Mini Cultivator is a garden superstar when it comes to weeding, working in fertilizer or aerating the soil. Its small size and light weight not only make it easy to transport, but it also increases maneuverability through garden rows without damaging your plants. The high-performance 43cc Viper engine delivers the right amount of power to work through all different types of pre-tilled soil. Click Here to Buy
Features of the Earthquake MC43 Cultivator Tiller
- Versatile with Weeding, mixing and aerating.
Convenient with On-board wheel adjusts for transport and depth control.
- The overhand control allows you to remove the weeds, not your plants.
Powerful and Largest engine in its class.
2. XtremepowerUS Commercial 2 Cycle Gas Powered Garden yard grass Tiller Cultivator – $199.95
XtremepowerUS Commercial 2 Cycle Gas Powered Garden yard grass Tiller Cultivator – * * * Rotary cultivation width: 10″ * Cultivating depth:2.4-4″ * Engine: 2-Stroke * Standard power – 1.3kw/8000r/min * Matching Engine 1540FN. Click Here to Buy
Features of the XtremepowerUS Commercial 2 Cycle Gas Powered Garden yard grass Tiller Cultivator
- Rotary cultivation width: 10″
- Cultivating depth:2.4-4″
- Engine: 2-Stroke
- Standard power – 1.3kw/8000r/min
- Matching Engine 1540FN
3. Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7920 – $299.00
The Mantis Gas/Oil mix 2-cycle tiller is the lightest tiller available (just 20 lbs!) but takes on heavyweight projects like busting tough sod or digging a planting hole with ease. Plus, with a simple flip of the tines, you can precision-weed around delicate plants and seedlings! This model has a sleek design and soft, Sure-Grip Handles. Ergonomically flared for fatigue-free operation the grips feature a flush-mounted throttle, palm-controlled safety switch and infinite speed control for ease-of-operation. Click Here to Buy
Features of the Mantis 2-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7920:
- Ultra Lightweight. Compact, Powerful, Commercial Quality, for Greenhouse-quality soil
- 10″ Digging Depth, 9″ Tilling Width
- Folds for Easy Storage
- Weight 20 lbs
- Gas/Oil Mix
4. Troy-Bilt TB146 EC 29cc 4-Cycle Cultivator with JumpStart Technology – $299
Growing vegetables and flowers starts with a good soil base. The Troy-Bilt TB146 EC can be used to prep and turn the soil in your plots at the beginning and end of each season to keep the nutrients fresh. The Troy-Bilt TB146 Cultivator is lightweight and compact for quick storage and the transport wheels allow for easy maneuverability and transport. Click Here to Buy
Features of the Troy-Bilt TB146 EC 29cc 4-Cycle Cultivator are as following:
- This powerful and versatile cultivator is designed to cultivate flower beds and vegetable gardens
- Equipped with a 29cc 4-cycle engine does not require mixing oil and gas and has a 6-12 inch adjustable tilling width
- 6 premium steel tines are ideal for cultivating up to 5 inches deep
- The SpringAssist JumpStart technology allows the engine to be started without pulling a cord (engine starter sold separately)
- The folding handle design saves storage space
5. Mantis 4-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7940 – $389
Get to the fun part of gardening faster and easier than you ever dreamed possible! Easy to start, quiet and with no fuel mixing required, the Mantis 4-cycle Plus Tiller weighs only 24 pounds. It’s one of the lightest small tillers you can buy. Featuring a premium 4-cycle engine powered by Honda, this lightweight powerhouse is tough enough to till through sod and compacted dirt, but is easy to carry, easy to start and easy to use. Forget old-time tillers – this work-saver has soft, sure-grip handles that are ergonomically flared for fatigue-free operation. Infinite speed means you can power your tiller up when you need to, or work more gently if the situation requires. Digging by hand or renting a giant, hard-to-handle behemoth tiller is no fun!
Live your Dream Garden! The Mantis Tiller takes on heavyweight projects like busting established sod and compacted dirt or digging a planting hole with ease. The unique, curvy tines (blades) can till a full 10 inches deep. Then with a simple flip of the tines, you can precision-weed around delicate plants and seedlings! This is a gardening tool you’ll use all season long! Don’t hold back! Put this tiller through most any challenge – the special curved tines are guaranteed for a lifetime against breakage! The Mantis Tiller is the tool you’ve been waiting for – the missing link to the greenhouse quality soil every successful garden needs.
Convenient and Easy to Use
The Mantis Tiller/Cultivator features folding handlebars which make it convenient to store in a garage or tool shed. An innovative transmission design is what allows such a lightweight tool to provide heavyweight performance. Plus every tiller that comes out of our Southampton, PA facility is built with the lifetime service of the user in mind.
Get the garden of your dreams…you can do it! Click Here to Buy
Features of the Mantis 4-Cycle Tiller Cultivator 7940
- Powerful Honda 4-cycle (gas only, no fuel mix required) 25cc engine spins the tines twice as fast as other tillers
- 5 Year consumer warranty on the entire tiller (including engine), plus a lifetime warranty on the tines against breakage
- Weighs just 24 pounds
- Finger controlled throttle for infinite speed control and ease of operation
- The compact 9-inch width allows the tiller to get into tight spaces around your yard that larger tillers cannot get to.
- The unique, curvy tines can be used to till down 10 inches deep. Or, simply turn the tines around to shallow cultivate the top 2 to 3 inches of soil.
- Includes handy kickstand for steady placement when not in use and for easy fueling
- Folds for easy transport and storage
That is all we had in this segment for the best five picks for the Garden Cultivator tillers. We hope if you were looking to buy one for your farm or garden, then this might have been helpful to you for picking the best for you in your budget. We are eager to know about your feedback so, you can post your comments below in the comment section.